“On March 31, 1919, a meeting of ’36 serious-minded, far-sighted progressive motor tradesmen’ at the Chamber of Commerce Salon in Des Moines prompted the creation of the Iowa Motor Trades Bureau.”
History of the Iowa Automobile Dealers Association (2008)
“We should not organize for the sole object of influencing legislation or protecting us against some unjust taxation. We must organize not only with this purpose in view, but with a broader idea of putting our individual businesses on a business basis, which means that we should make money and operate our places in a way which will not invite criticism. If we do this, we need not fear but that we will receive just treatment from every source, as all will know that we are able to protect ourselves.”
Iowa Motor Trades Bureau President John Rude, Rude Auto Company (1919)
The IMTB changed its name to the Iowa Automotive Merchants Association (IAMA).
Iowa led all states in the number of cars per capita.
For the first time, the IAMA had members in every county.
The association had it’s final name change and becomes the Iowa Automobile Dealers Association.
IADA held its first regional meeting, known today as Town Meetings. It was so successful, by the end of the decade the association was holding 18 regional meetings per year and other state associations adopted the concept.
Iowa Commissioner of Public Safety Al Kahl was hired to lead IADA.
IADA began admitting associate members.
IADA Services Inc. was officially established. Through the years, it has also been known as the Forms Department and IADA Printing & Promotions.
IADA members traveled to Washington, DC to lobby on Capitol Hill for the first time.
IADA launched a workers’ comp program that operated for more than 50 years.
IADA launched the Guaranteed Warranty certificate program, which provided a discount on cash purchases for repairs made to pre-selected vehicles on a dealer’s lot. The program quickly spread to 11 states and one Canadian province, with 3,300 dealers participating by 1962.
The Iowa Motor Vehicle Franchise Act was enacted.
IADA moved to a new office in Des Moines’ East Village.
Gary Thomas became IADA executive vice president.
IADA adopts a new logo.
IADA moved to its current headquarters in West Des Moines and changed its logo for the second time in a decade.
The first IADA website launched.
The Iowa Automobile Dealers Foundation for Education was established.
The IADA Hall of Fame was created with an inaugural class of five members.
Bruce Anderson became IADA president.
IADA adopted its current logo.
Renovations began on IADA’s headquarters building.
IADA celebrated its centennial.